Personal and District Assessment
What do I believe? Who am I for? Who would I represent? Do I know these people and the institutions?
Understand the local connection points and how your values fit the values of your district. As important, assess whether your personal and professional responsibilities allow time for a legislative campaign.
This phase generally takes 4-6 weeks to complete. To guide you through the assessment, ctgCA has compiled a number of resources.
- First Steps: Questions for Potential Candidates
- 10+5 Candidate Profile
- Candidate Questionnaire
- 10 Things to do Before You File
- Webinar: “Why Women”
- The Barbara Lee Family Foundation: “Keys to Elected Office: The Essential Guide for Women”
Build My Base and Master the 3 E’s
Who is for me? Who will help me? Who will support me financially? Do I know my policy fundamentals?
Identify policy matters relevant to your district some of which will be familiars while others may not be. Start to connect with policy experts on the relevant topics for your district. Develop list of individuals form which you can raise your first $100,000 to fund your campaign.
This phase generally takes 2-3 months to complete. To guide you through the assessment, ctgCA has compiled a number of resources.
- What You Need to Know About Winning a Labor Endorsement
- An Insider’s Guide to the CA Democratic Party Endorsement Process
- Filing and Money: When Should I File? And How Much Do I Need to Raise?
- How to Raise $100,000
- Webinar: “What Makes a Winning Candidate?”
We are recruiting talented women like yourself to run for office – Contact Us.
Sacramento and ‘My Team”
Who are the networks that will support me? What will my campaign organization look like?
Shadow a legislator – gain a realistic understanding of what is required to run a successful campaign and serve effectively as a legislature. Reach out to a political consultant who has worked with progressive candidates in California. Attend tutorials on fund raising, uses of polling, campaign costs and budgets.
This phase takes 2-3 months to complete. To guide you through the assessment, ctgCA has compiled a number of resources.
- ctgCA Sacramento Symposium (January 13, 2015)
- Webinar: “Everything You Need to Know About Consultants”
- Webinar: “How to be a Fantastic Fundraiser”
- Political Parity: “Shifting Gears: How Women Navigate the Road to Higher Office”
- ctgCA Founder: Mary Hughes
- ctgCA Director: Betsy Cotton
- ctgCA Board and Steering Committee