Assembly District 78
Current Legislator: Toni Atkins (D)
Major Cities: San Diego, Imperial Beach, Coronado, Solana Beach, Del Mar
Registration: 39% Democrat, 30% Republican, 25% No Party Preference
Ethnicity of Eligible Voter Population: 12% Latino, 7% Asian, 4% African American
Held by Madam Speaker Toni Atkins, this environmentally aware district has a rich history of distinguished women leaders:
- Lori Saldaña, a staunch advocate of environmental legislation from reducing greenhouse gases to supporting cleaner energy alternatives.
- Christine Kehoe, known for her ardent support of LGBT rights now runs the CA Plug-In Electric Vehicle Collaborative.
- Susan Davis, currently serving in Congress, wrote the state law that allows women to choose their OB/GYN without prior consent.
- Dede Alpert, an education champ who put the interests of women and children first.
- Lucy Killea, a pro-choice leader who fought for women’s reproductive freedom over the objections of the Catholic church.
Who is your nominee to follow Toni? We want to know.